Saturday, October 24, 2009

Injured Reserve

Over the past 20 years, I've rarely gotten injured badly enough that I couldn't go boating. I've gotten used to being able to push myself kayaking and rafting and not even being sore the next day. This year that changed. I spent part of the summer going to acupuncture for sore shoulders and elbows, and I've had to adopt some exercises to keep that at bay. Now, I'm having trouble with my feet. A few weeks ago on the Rogue River, I injured my right foot. As soon as it got better, I was moving some furniture into my house and I sprained my left foot.

The timing couldn't have been worse. With the rain over the past few days, the rivers all came up and the Middle Fork Snoqualmie was running just under 3000 cfs, which is a perfect level for my cataraft. I had been hoping all week to be able to do this run, and I had to sit this one out. I realize I could have asked people to carry my boat for me, but I would still have trouble pushing with my feet when I row.

I'm going to have to be a bit more careful from now on. I still have lots of boating to do, and I can't do it if I'm injured.

No comments: