Thursday, April 29, 2010

21 - 4/29/2010 - Middle Middle

This was definitely an oddball trip. A new friend came out from Eastern Washington, and another friend wanted to borrow one of my IKs. With my Wing already packed away for the upcoming Yampa River trip, I ended up in my big Stiletto, which I hadn't used in over a year.

The run was a typical run taking down someone on their first descent of the Middle Middle. As we went down the river, I described upcoming rapids. The new friend flipped in the main drop of House Rocks and ended up swimming the bottom half, but he was fine. The other friend, who has hardshelled the run many times, said she was surprised at some of the lines I took. I had to realize that after over 100 runs, I probably do take the more "interesting" lines through the rapids.

I remember that early on we used to take the more conservative lines. In House Rocks, for example, we used to always start far left and move towards the center. Now, we run a 4' ledge called "The Goal Posts", which puts us into a hole and slows us down in preparation for the main drop. This is actually an easier set of moves to make, but the first couple of times over the ledge can be scary.

No comments: