Saturday, August 20, 2011

65 - 8/20/2011 - Skykomish

The Sky has always been scary to me - or specifically, Boulder Drop has always been scary to me. The first time I ran it, I flipped near the top and swam most of the rapid. As a result, I need to push myself to do this run at least once a year.

The rapids above Boulder Drop are challenging, but well within my abilities, so they are fun. At least I have been able to get to a point where I am calm enough to enjoy them. When we got to Boulder Drop, I waited while the others scouted. When they were ready to go, I got in my boat and followed. I did fine through the entrance, and then went down to the Airplane Turn eddy to help out in case the raft had trouble. I watched as the other kayaker in the group flipped in the main drop, but he got back into his boat. I got back into mine and finished the rapid with no problems.

After that, the run was easy and fun.

No comments: