Sunday, January 15, 2012

5 - 1/15/2012 - Green River Overnighter (Day 2)

I got up early and started packing. We left camp at around 10AM, just as it started to snow hard. I got stuck once more on the way down, but only for a minute or so. Near the end of the run, I got ready to go down one side of an island when I realized that what I thought was a bridge in the distance was actually a log. I was just barely able to get back upstream and get into the other channel.

When we got to the takeout, I had to walk about 1.5 miles to get my SUV. As I exited the park, the ranger pulled up and informed me that the park was closed due to the snow, but he was going to let me drive back in to get our gear. As I walked on, I saw him ticket someone who came into the park past the "Do not enter" barrier. I thought it was a little unfair to ticket people, even if they had passed the gate. Anyway, I walked up the hill and got the SUV and we went back to get the other car. I took one person home, and as I was leaving the area, I had some problems. As I was going down a hill, people in front of me suddenly stopped. I tried to slow down gently, but went into a skid because of the trailer and slid off the road. A friendly local helped me get the trailer unhitched and the wheels dug out (I was carrying a heavy-duty jack and a folding shovel), and it only took 5 minutes to get out.

Later that week, we would have a 2+-day power outage because of an ice storm.

No comments: