Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Hiking

Kayaking and rafting are my main form of exercise, and there are times during the year when I just don't get in as much boating. So, this year I decided to start hiking. I work at home and live near several great trails that are moderately hard, but interesting. In order to give myself a goal and allow me to do this during my work day, I limit my hiking time. I will drive up to 10 minutes to get to the trailhead, hike 30 minutes out, and then turn around.

For the first 4 weeks, I hiked the Rattlesnake Mountain trail. This starts with a flat hike for a few minutes and then heads up into the hills through the woods. The ultimate goal of this hike is Rattlesnake Ledge, which overlooks the lake and surrounding areas. Every week, I got further, but I don't think it's possible to get to the ledge in 30 minutes without running.

This week, I switched to the Twin Falls trail for some variety. This trail begins with a relatively flat trail, but then it gets steep. It then goes downhill and then back uphill. Eventually, it comes to a bridge over the falls. I didn't make it to the bridge this time, but I was within 2 minutes of it. Next time, I will be able to make it to the bridge. This trail is a lot steeper than Rattlesnake, and it was a bit tougher on my knees. As a result, I will probably hike Rattlesnake a few more times before going back to Twin Falls.

I also want to try the Mt. Si and Little Si trails. I realize that I won't get very far on these trails in just 30 minutes, but the point right now is the hike, not the destination.

No comments: