Monday, January 18, 2010

4 - 1/18/2010 - Green River Gorge

My company gave us Martin Luther King Day off as a holiday. The Green was down to just below 1800, and it looked like they might drop the flow, so I chose to take my IK. I took a lot of alternative routes through the easier class III areas.

I had a tough run in the main gorge section. I was fine through Mercury, but I got too far right at The Nozzle and had to push off the right rock. This put me farther left than I wanted to be, and a pair of holes slowed me down and threatened to flip me. I went for Door #3 in Let's Make a Deal, but #2 sucked me in and I had to make a hard balance move to stay out of the undercut. That put me further right than I wanted to be, so I had to paddle hard to avoid the big hole. I made it, but just barely.

At Deja Vu, I decided to take the right route, which turned out to be the wrong route. There were two big logs at the bottom, and I had to find a route back to the left channel. Just above the wall at Grand Canyon, I was thinking about how I hadn't flipped in a while. That was my cue to flip in an easy little wave. It took 2 tries to get the boat back over, but I kept hitting rocks, so it took a little time to get back in the boat. The scariest part was floating by the wall backwards with no control, but I made it through fine.

The weather was great, especially considering we had been expecting hard rain. Instead, it was sunny and 55 degrees. Winter may actually be over...

No comments: