Friday, December 24, 2010

79 - 12/24/2010 - Green River Gorge

The flow was low (830 cfs), but with temperatures around 50 and a willing group of people, the Green was a great Christmas Eve inflatable kayak float. I had a great run through the upper gorge, including my best ever run through The Nozzle. Later, I flipped for the first time in months. The flip came near the end of Deja Vu. There's a spot where there are two rocks that normally form a bump and a hole, but at this flow they formed a hole backed up by an exposed rock. I tried to do a splat on the second rock and spin off, but the current came over the stern of the boat and pulled the back of the boat under and pushed me to the side. The boat went over and I had to prepare for the next drop, which was a shallow slide over a big rock. I got the boat flipped back over at the bottom and was able to get back in fairly quickly.

With this run, 2010 becomes my 3rd best year in terms of number of river days. To tie for second, I need two more runs.

No comments: