Saturday, January 1, 2011

Goals for 2011

On The Green With Cubby
A year ago, I said that my goals for 2010 would be to get in at least 50 boating days, to get in at least a couple of catboat runs on the Sky, to get in at least 6 new runs, to self-rescue on every flip, and to learn to use my whistle more often.

I succeeded in all of these. I got in 80 runs, including 2 catboat runs on the Sky. I more than doubled my new runs goal with 13. I only flipped 6 times, so it wasn't all that hard to self rescue every time. I did try to use my whistle more often, though I didn't have that many situations where I needed it.

For 2011, I have these same goals, plus I would like to do is to get in more IK camping runs. I didn't even get to run the NF Lewis this year, and I missed it. I also need to work on thinning out my gear. I have a few extra boats that I need to sell (two IKs and a raft), several extra PFDs, and a handful of miscellaneous items that I just don't need.

I also have a longer-term goal, which is targeted for late June of 2014. I started rafting on June 24, 1989, so June 24, 2014 is my 25th year anniversary of rafting. I am going to attempt to get up to 1000 river days by then. I currently have 741 days, so I need 259 more days over the next 41 months. This is a yearly average of 76 days. Over the past 5 years, I've averaged 80 days, so I think I have a good shot at this.

1 comment:

LowellM said...

Tiger-- I just discovered your blog and have been having a great time reading through the posts. Thanks for taking the time to write all this up! I live in Snoqualmie as well, and while I grew up in a canoe (on easy Class I and II in Oregon) I just started in on rafting and IK'ing up here in Washington last year. I did guided raft trips on the Wenatchee and White Salmon, and an IK run down the Wenatchee from Leavenworth that was a blast! I just picked up a used tomcat tandem for cheap to start exploring the Middle Fork of the Snoqulamie, and did the Club Stretch a couple times in the last month.

Anyhow-- if you are still looking to unload some gear I would love top pick up one or two single IKs, possibly some other accessories. At some point I'd like to get up the nerve to try the Middle Middle... if I could tag along with a more experienced group that would be great. I'm pretty sure I have the ability, just not the experience and comfort level yet.

Since it sounds like you live so close to me, if you like coffee (or food, and who doesn't) I'd be happy to buy you some (of either) and pick your mind about local rivers, different IKs (since I'm in the market to purchase), and different groups or trips I could join. If you have the time don't hesitate to contact me at my gmail account, which (I think) blogger should have on my post here, or if not it's just my first name (Lowell), a period, and then my last name (Meyer) at gmail.