Saturday, January 31, 2009

6 - 1/31/09 - Nisqually

I don't think I've ever gotten in 6 days of boating in January before (I think maybe 3 was the most before, and 1-2 is more typical). Hopefully it won't get too cold in February so we don't get any boating in. The trip on the Nisqually started out as a possible 2 boat float, but in the end we had 13 boats and 16 people.

The run from McKenna to Yelm is pretty easy. It's mostly fast-moving water with class II rapids, with a couple of class II+ rapids and an easy class III. For me, it was a little harder. I was trying out my new Aire Outfitter kayak, and the backrest I put in it was too small and the valve was loose so it leaked. I pumped it up a couple of times, but by the middle of the run, it was unusable. I ended up getting up on my knees and running the boat canoe style. This worked out OK because it was an easy run, but I definitely need to get a bigger backrest. I also need to add D-rings to move the backs of the thigh straps up higher, but the backrest comes first.

No comments: