Sunday, February 1, 2009

7 - 2/1/09 - Green River Gorge

Blame it on being tired from dealing with my boat the day before. Blame it on eating too much Mexican food. Blame it on the low water. Or, maybe it was just time for me to flip 3 times!

I rarely flip on the Green, mainly because a swim could be long and dangerous. But at around 740 cfs, none of my swims were very long. My new footbrace held me tightly in the boat, which meant that when I flipped I was forced to pull my right thigh strap manually, giving me a hold on the boat and the paddle. I was able to flip the boat back over and get back in quickly without a lot of effort. Otherwise, I would have been dead tired after the third swim.

My first swim was right off the bat at Ledge Drop One. I went over the last drop a little more right than I wanted and I hit the hole at the wrong angle, which flipped me. The second swim was at Pipeline (aka Ledge Drop 3). I was way too far right, and my correction to deal with hitting the curling wave left me vulnerable to the next wave, which grabbed me and flipped me. The third swim came in a no-name rapid in the bottom of the gorge, right below a house perched on the cliff edge. I got stuck on a rock, which pushed me sideways into the final hole, which flipped me over.

Then we had lunch.

The rest of the day went without problems. I did get stuck on a couple more rocks in places I wouldn't have wanted to swim, but I was able to keep myself upright in those situations. What the hey - pretty much any day on the Green is a good day!

No comments: