Saturday, February 28, 2009

9 - 2/28/2009 - Lower Snoqualmie (Powerhouse)

The Powerhouse run is below Snoqualmie Falls. Normally, we do this run in August when it's hot and nothing else is running, but some people wanted to get out and run something without having to travel very far. It was a nice day, so we decided to take a lunch and take our camp chairs with us and start by going upstream. I had a tough time at first. I tried walking and swimming upstream, and the cold water got to me. It took a while to get up to a point where I could cross the river and walk up. We had lunch with a view of the falls.

After lunch, we headed downstream. At 1200 cfs, the rapids are quick and easy. I'm used to running this much lower, and taking a lot more time. We had decided to run all the way to Fall City, whereas before I've taken out after about a half mile. I didn't think that there were any rapids or current below the normal takeout, so I was pleasantly surprised to find that there were small drops and reasonable flows all the way.

No comments: