Wednesday, March 4, 2009

My Inflatable Kayaks - Part 4 - Aire Force XL

In 1999, I moved to the Cascade foothills near Seattle. I was told that there were many smaller rivers there, so I decided to buy an Aire Force XL. The Force was a new design that was supposed to be faster and more manueverable than other boats. It was the first boat I had that came with thigh straps and a footbrace, and it would have been impossible to use otherwise. At first it seemed like a great boat, but after a few flips I realized that it had all of the disadvantages of an IK and all of the disadvantages of a hardshell, but very few advantages of either. Basically, it allowed me to manuever around obstacles that would cause problems. But, in a larger boat, I would have been able to plow through these obstacles safely. Also, there were cases where the only route contained something I would want to manuever around. After a couple of seasons in this boat, I went back to Old Bessie once again. I eventually traded this boat away because I couldn't use it as a guest boat, and I hated running it myself.

There is one fun story about the Force and the Sotar. I was running the West Fork and Main Teanaway Rivers with some friends. I was in the Force, one friend was in the Sotar, and another in Old Bessie. I came around a corner and saw a river-wide tree, so I headed for shore and began to portage. I heard my friends yelling, and I looked around just in time to see the Sotar go under the tree and get stuck. I hurried to finish the portage, but I wasn't quite fast enough and the Sotar began heading downstream. I got into the river and chased it down. It took me about a half mile to get to it.

One of the tricks of inflatable kayaking is to use the strap that you use to keep the boat together as a "flip strap". You attach the strap to the back of the boat so that you have something to grab onto when you are trying to get to the boat after a flip. You never use a rope for this because a rope can compress and get stuck between rocks. This won't happen to a strap.

When I reached the Sotar, I grabbed the strap and paddled for shore. As I neared the shore, I needed both hands, so I stuck the strap in my mouth and proceeded to get out. The current grabbed the Sotar and the sudden force on my head pulled me over. By the time I got back up, the Sotar was on the shore and the Force was heading down the river. I had to go another quarter mile to get the Force back to shore. Five minutes later, my friends showed up in Old Bessie, and we continued on down the river.

No comments: