Saturday, March 14, 2009

My Inflatable Kayaks - Part 7 - Sun Runner (Young Bessie)

Back in the late 90s, I realized that Old Bessie was not going to last forever, and I would need a replacement. Every year I'd send out a feeler to try to find a similar boat. Finally in 2005 I got a reply from a park ranger in Oregon saying that he had a boat like I wanted, and he would be willing to sell it so he could buy a new boat. I took him up on his offer and bought the boat. The boat looked years newer than Old Bessie, but according to the serial number info, she was only a few months newer. I named her Young Bessie. She came with a really strange backrest, which involved an inflatable pad, a piece of PVC pipe, and a chain. It was very uncomfortable and it didn't work all that well. I ended up buying a couple of different sized replacement backrests from Hyside, one of which eventually went on my Wing. The other went on Young Bessie.

The boat has really not seen much use. I've used her once, and one other person used her, only to find that the pressure relief valve on the floor is leaky and needs to be cleaned out or replaced. Since I started using the Wing, Young Bessie has mostly just sat unused waiting to be repaired and sold. She'll be a great boat for a big person someday.

No comments: