Saturday, April 4, 2009

13 - 4/4/09 - Green River Gorge

The people studying Howard Hanson Dam have had to change their plans due to all of the new snow. Now, rather than aggressively filling the dam and releasing the minimum required flow, they are releasing 80% of inflow. This means that when inflow is over 1200cfs, we have enough for small boats. We had a Saturday with nice weather (partly cloudy, over 60) and a flow of around 960cfs.

I flipped at the bottom of Mercury when I tried to make a last-second move to avoid the ski jump rock, which looked like it would snag me. Luckily, I was heading into the eddy on river left, so it was no problem. I also flipped in Paradise Ledge, but that was because the person in front of me decided to stop and surf rather than letting me get by.

Despite the warm day, it was still a little bit cool at the end when the wind came up. I was glad I wore my extra fleece.

No comments: