Saturday, April 25, 2009

Inflatable Kayaking for Fat People - Part 1: Getting Started

I love whitewater boating - especially inflatable kayaking. When I started, I was 5'10" and weighed around 230lbs. I've been as heavy as 300lbs and still kayaked. I think IKing is a great activity for fat people. Not only is it good exercise, it doesn't require that you be a great athlete to enjoy it. It's not critical that you be a great swimmer, but you can't be afraid of water to the point that you panic. In whitewater, panic is your worst enemy - it tires you out and it's hard to forget that feeling. Keep in mind that fat floats and your personal flotation device (aka, lifejacket) will help to keep you out of the water.

The first thing I recommend for anyone interested in whitewater boating is to go on a guided whitewater trip in the summer, when it's hot and sunny. If you're big like me, you'll most likely get stuck near the back of the raft. Try to convince the guide and other people to let you in the front of the boat. This is really the most fun place to be and despite what you probably think, it's more likely that you'll fall out if you're in the back. Believe me - I know first hand.

So, why would you want to take up whitewater boating at all? Simply put, it's a lot of fun! It's like a long roller coaster ride. You get to solve puzzles and get wet. What's not to love?

In future articles, I'll talk about equipment, clothing, and how to progress. See you on the river!

No comments: