Thursday, August 6, 2009

49 - 8/6/09 - Lower Lower Sauk

I had been curious as to what the Sauk was like below the Suiattle. When people would talk about running the Lower Sauk, I was always disappointed to find that they were talking about the section above the Suiattle. Finally, I got a chance to do this run, and I did it as an overnighter.

We originally expected to have 7 or 8 people on this trip, but in the end it was just 2. It was a good thing I brought my cataraft, since I don't think we would have been able to carry everything we planned in just 2 IKs.

This is not a whitewater run. There is only one rapid that could be called class II+, and there are maybe 10 class I-II rapids. However, the run is not flatwater - there is enough of a gradient that the river moves along, even at the minimal flow we had (the Sauk at Sauk was running around 2000 cfs). The scenery has great potential, but it was pretty cloudy for us. We camped on a big sandy island within the view of some nice mountains. We were near a road, but there was very little traffic and the trees on the island helped hide them.

No comments: