Thursday, August 6, 2009

Solo Whitewater Boating

Let me start by saying that you should never boat alone. Even going with just one other boat is potentially dangerous.

While it's not something I commonly do, I have kayaked alone quite a few times. Most of my solo trips have been on a class II+ run near my home. For this run, I can go to my house and ride my bicycle back up to get my vehicle at the put-in. I did once have some trouble when I dropped my paddle and couldn't get back to it for a while. I learned on that trip that it's worth taking a spare paddle even on an easy trip you know well.

My longest solo run was on a long stretch of water in Northern California, on the Trinity River. This one was quite an adventure. I was traveling alone, and I couldn't find anyone else in the area who was running the river that day, so I decided to solo IK a stretch of class II (with a couple of easy class III rapids) that I had run a few times before with friends. I began by leaving my gear with the campground host. I then drove 25 miles to the takeout and started hitch-hiking. I wore my wetsuit in hopes that the people driving by would realize that I was boating and know I only wanted a short ride. I had a couple of offers from rafting companies, but they weren't going far enough upstream. The one thing I didn't want to do was to get 10 miles up the road and have to walk 15 miles back to the campground. I figured that if nobody picked me up after a couple of hours, I would drive upstream a few miles and try again. Luckily, within 30 minutes I caught a ride back to the campground. I carried my gear down to the river and was on my way. The water level was medium-low, so I figured I needed to paddle a little. At the same time, I didn't want to get off the river too early, as it was very hot at the campground. As it was, the trip only took me about 6 hours, which was 2 hours less than I had hoped.

My hardest solo run was not an intentional solo run. I was running a fast and continuous class III run with some friends and I decided to put in below where they did (I didn't like the look of one rapid). When they got to where I was, they didn't see me, but I didn't know this. I still had 5 minutes of preparation, so when I got into the river, I was surprised to find that they were gone. For 3 miles, they thought I was downstream of them, so they had no reason to slow down. Luckily, they pulled over at a bridge to look for me and I was able to catch up. That was one of the most exhilarating situations I've been in. I knew that if I screwed up, I might have to chase my boat down the river, so I had to really be on my game.

No comments: