Thursday, December 31, 2009

2009 Roundup

As I turn 50, I'm very happy to still be boating, and even happier that I get to do so much. When I moved to Washington in 1999, I wasn't boating consistently. Joining Washington Recreational River Runners and finding a group of inflatable kayakers who enjoy boating frequently made a huge difference. Also, finding a great company that makes custom drysuits (OS Systems) has made it possible for me to boat year round. I have a great group of boating friends, and I am very fortunate to be in the position of being able to get out on the river so easily.

I ended up making it to 72 days, making 2009 my 4th most prolific boating year ever. I got in 5 new runs, and I got to do 14 nights of river camping. This is really great considering that I injured both shoulders, dealt with tendinitis in both elbows, and hurt both of my feet. I need to work hard to avoid injuries. I only had 10 flips this year, but I did have a few more wraps that I would have liked (even though only one of them resulted in a flip).

In 2010, I will be taking a break from being on the WRRR Board of Directors. I've been on the board for 6 years, including 3 years as President. Not having to be at every club event will make it possible for me to do some other trips that I might not normally get to do.

My goals for 2010 are to get in at least 50 boating days, to get in at least a couple of catboat runs on the Sky, to get in at least 6 new runs, to self-rescue on every flip, and to learn to use my whistle more often.

If you are a fellow whitewater boater, have a great year boating! If not, get out on a river and have fun!

No comments: