Sunday, December 27, 2009

72 - 12/27 - EF Humptulips Overnighter (Day 2)


Dropping into the Gorge

We got up after the sun was up. There was frost on all of the boats, and it was cold, but the sun was out and the day would get much warmer. We had a great breakfast and got our gear loaded.

After a half mile or so, we came up to a rapid that is formed by logs across a slot in some rocks. We decided to portage this, but it was a trivial portage. The moss on the rocks made it easy to walk, and we could float the backs of the boats most of the way. After another few minutes, we came to the Falls. The other guys did a quick scout and I went on through. Portaging the Falls took only a few minutes and we headed downstream.

I was most concerned about the possibility of wood at the bridge, which separates the Falls and Gorge sections, but there was no problem. After a couple more miles, we headed into the Gorge. There are lots of little rapids in the Gorge, and lots of waterfalls coming in from the sides. We had to think fast and watch for wood, but still enjoy the scenery.

Near the end of the Gorge, there is a large drop called Surf 'n' Turf. The left side is a twisty, narrow turning drop. The right side is a ledge formed by two rocks. I chose the ledge because I had made it over fine the last time I ran this, and I thought there was more water this time. Either there was less water, or the extra weight of the gear had an effect, but I ended up stuck between the two rocks. It took me a couple of minutes to wriggle my way out of this. I was submerged up to my waist, but I knew my best bet was to stay with the boat and get out. Once I was out, the rest of the Gorge was easy.

Out of the Gorge, the rapids ease up and the scenery goes back to the usual Pacific Northwest rain forest. We got to the takeout a little after 1PM and packed up for the drive home. It was a great weekend of boating and camping.

No comments: