Saturday, November 20, 2010

76 - 11/20/2010 - Middle Middle

Russian Peaks from the Put-in

I had originally planned to run the Green in my new boat, but nobody responded to requests and some friends wanted to run the Middle Middle. The flow was around 1200, which was low for a cataraft, but still good enough for a first run.

Realistically, 1200 is not a great flow even for my small cataraft. It's more work looking for the channels and dealing with rocks. I don't like to run my big cataraft on the Middle Middle at under 2000 cfs, and I think I'll prefer to run the smaller one at 1400-2500.

The run was fun. I got stuck a few times, but that was no big deal, especially since half of them were intentional. Getting the little boat out of trouble is pretty easy. I took the steep drops whenever possible, and the boat was stable and quick. I'm looking forward to lots more runs in the new boat!

No comments: