Friday, November 19, 2010

New Boat!

Cubby
In 2009, I developed shoulder problems for a while. I got several pieces of advice, including using shorter oars and getting a smaller boat. A smaller boat would have all kinds of advantages. I could carry it more easily by myself. It would be a great winter boat for when the water is low but I don't feel like kayaking. It would even be fun for overnight runs when I just need to carry a small amount of gear. I decided that I would put together a small cataraft in 2010.

The first step was to get a frame. I wanted my frame to be the same basic size as my existing frame, but without the cargo area in the back. I knew that Dave Nissen would be busy making frames, so in October of 2009, I called him up and ordered the frame. His estimate was that it would be ready at the end of January, but in the end it wasn't in my hands until the end of May. That was fine, since I really had no idea what tubes I would be buying. In various conversations with Dave, he suggested that I consider an 11' Sotar Legend. This is a small, but very maneuverable setup.

In July, a friend of mine got a set of standard 12'6" Sotar Legend tubes, which are 22.5" in diameter. I tried these tubes out a few times, and found them to be bigger than I wanted. I then tried some smaller tubes, and finally settled on a set of 11'x20" Sotar Legend tubes. I ordered these in early October of 2010.

The boat arrived in mid-November. I was able to put it together an about an hour, though I still need to get the final matching straps made for it.

No comments: