Saturday, February 12, 2011

7 - 2/12/2011 - Middle Middle

I had a couple of weekends off from boating because of injuries and high water, and a friend wanted to do a quick mid-day run on something nearby, so we chose the Middle Middle. The flow was just over 1000 cfs, and we put it at First Island Drop. On the first rapid (a shallow gravel bar), I got stuck on a rock, and rather than just getting out of the boat and moving it, I stupidly tried to push myself around the rock. After I flipped and found myself face down in about 4 inches of water, the boat got off of me and before I could grab it, it was going downstream. My friend grabbed it and pulled it to the side, and I went ahead and swam down the rapid to get back to it. The rest of the run was without incident, though I did have a weird run at House Rocks. Below the main drop in the upper part of the rapid, I found myself pulled quickly to the right, so I missed the main wave train.

No comments: