Sunday, February 20, 2011

10 - 2/20/2011 - EF Humtulips Overnighter (Day 2)

BRRRR! It was tough to get up in the morning. Everything outside was frozen and the sun was hiding behind the trees. The person in charge of breakfast actually cooked it while still in his tent and sleeping bag. We put a lot of stuff under our overturned boats, which kept the frost on them, but it didn't stop them from freezing. Some of my gear had rocks frozen to them. My drysuit, which was in a plastic bag inside of a drybag, was a big frozen ball. The sun finally shone on our camp at about 9AM, so when we finally launched it was around 11AM.

I was a bit anxious over the run. We hadn't been there for 14 months, and there were no recent wood reports. As we neared the bridge that separates the Falls and Gorge sections, I was happy to see that there was no wood under the bridge. Once in the Gorge, we stopped a lot for photos. Above the biggest rapid, called Surf and Turf, we had stopped, but we got going again too soon - not soon enough for me, though. The last time through, I got stuck in this rapid, and I didn't want that to happen again. Luckily, the "normal" route turned out to be easy.

The rest of the run was easy, except for the times I got stuck in the shallows. One interesting note about this day is that it was my 10th river day of the year. I don't normally get in this many days before March.

No comments: