Sunday, September 18, 2011

70 - 9/18/2011 - Upper Tieton

We did an early shuttle and had a pretty good-sized group for an early Sunday run. The flow was still nice and high. There was a cable hanging a bit low over the dam. When I went over, I smacked it with my paddle. I found out later that a raft guide friend of mine smacked it with his head, and ended up with a few cuts and he also broke a rib when he fell onto the oar tower.

A friend and I worked hard to hit every hole in our kayaks, and near the end I hit one a little off-kilter. I flipped, and it took me three tries to flip the boat back over, and three attempts to get back into the boat. I finally got a little help from my friend, who held the far tube down so the boat wouldn't flip back over. I realized that my biggest problem was that I was holding onto my paddle and it was stopping me from using both arms. Next time I swim, I'm going to try to put the paddle in the boat under the seat before I flip the boat back over. That will give me a handle to help flip the boat and to help me crawl back in... maybe.

No comments: