Sunday, April 1, 2012

16 - 4/1/2012 - Middle Sauk

The Middle Sauk finally has a gauge, but it hasn't been completely calibrated yet. It seems to read a little on the high side. The great thing about this gauge is that not only will it give us a more accurate reading on the Middle Sauk run, it will give us very good estimates on the Whitechuck (Middle Sauk minus Upper Sauk) and Suiattle (Lower Sauk minus Middle Sauk).

With the temperatures and flows dropping, but still 1100 on the Upper Sauk gauge, we had a group of 4 boats on the run. I took my 11' cataraft, which was perfect for the flow. I had a pretty straightforward run. I ran left of where I wanted in Jaws, but I still had a good run. We had nice weather through lunch, and it didn't start to get cold until the end of the run.

Over the past 5 years, I've averaged 8 days in April. It will be interesting to see how this April goes. We have a good snowpack, but it's colder than usual.

No comments: