Sunday, April 15, 2012

19 - 4/15/2012 - Green River Gorge

The flow on the Green was just 1100, but it was a beautiful day and well worth the trip. There were 4 of us in IKs and we were the only people in the upper gorge.

Everything went great, but I had an interesting run at Mercury. I had decided to try to run the left-of-center line at the bottom, but it turns out that you can't get there from the center of the rapid. I moved right, but couldn't get back to the left. In the end, I found myself on the far right, where there was just one small slot to get down. This was a 4' drop right into a hole, where I found myself upright. The problem was that the exit was to go into another hole sideways, where I found myself upside down. I knew that The Nozzle was coming up quickly, so I got the boat reflipped in one move and was back in before The Nozzle. My paddle was under me, but I went through and was able to get the paddle out before the next little rapid. It was a great feeling to get this self-rescue right.

No comments: