Saturday, May 19, 2012

38 - 5/19/2012 - Green River Gorge

On the previous Sunday, a friend of mine died at the Nozzle on the Green. It wasn't a high flow or anything like that. We don't really know what happened, other than his raft got stuck on the right rock and something happened as he tried to remove it. He was a great guy and I'll miss boating with him.

A small group of us decided to run the Green - 3 IKs and a hardshell. The weather was sunny and the flow was a relatively low 1200 cfs. We started out at the fish hatchery across from Kanasket-Palmer. Everything went pretty smoothly until Mercury. Yes, once again I flipped my IK at Mercury, though this time was somewhat unique. I was trying to take a left line and got pushed right again, but this time I ended up in a huge hole and was paddling hard to get out but not making much progress. The last boater dropped into the hole and I thought his wake would allow me to get out, but that didn't happen. I turned the boat around and tried to surf and pull to the side, but I flipped. Knowing that the final boulder ledge was not far away, I quickly got the boat back over and got back in. I ran the final set of drops without thigh straps, but made it fine. We then ran the Nozzle and spent some time studying it before continuing on.

Another great day on the Green. There were no other boats on the water, though.

No comments: