Sunday, May 10, 2009

Inflatable Kayaking for Fat People - Part 3: Paddles and PFDs

For the most part, fat people can use the same paddles as other kayakers, but it's typical to use longer paddles. There are two reasons for this. First, the inflatable kayak used by a fat person will tend to be wider than their shoulders, which requires a longer paddle. Second, a longer paddle gives more power, which is more important to maneuver a heavy load. I personally prefer a 210cm paddle, though I frequently use paddles as short as 197cm.

Good paddles are not cheap. Cheap paddles are fine for getting started, but if you are serious, be prepared to spend $200-$300 on your primary paddle. My favorite paddle brand is Werner, and I really like my Werner Powerhouse. You will also want to buy a good spare paddle. You don't need to buy a top of the line paddle, but keep in mind that if you lose your paddle at the start of a trip, you will be using the spare a lot. Keep an eye out for good deals on used 2-piece paddles for spares.

Personal Flotation Devices (PFDs) are critical for safety. Luckily, because fat people float, they often don't need PFDs with more flotation than everyone else, but it doesn't hurt. I have PFDs of all sizes, and I go back and forth between a couple of primary PFDs. One is really thick and has 26lbs of flotation, while the other has 18lbs. I typically use the 18lb PFD when I am running a river where I know I can stand up most of the time. I've had some really long swims in the 26lb PFD and felt very comfortable.

The biggest problem that a fat person will have with a PFD is with it riding up. It's very hard to fit a PFD to a fat belly, because PFDs are made to fit tightly around your waist. One solution to this is crotch straps, which will hold down the PFD. The Extrasport B22 has an available crotch strap system, but sadly the B22 doesn't come in XXL. Standard cam straps will work just fine as crotch straps, but you will want to figure out a way to attach them so that the buckles don't move around and jab into your skin.

1 comment:

Pixie said...

Tiger, You are too funny. IKing for Fat People? Maybe we can market our DVD's together. Rico suggested that I make a 4DVD series called "420Pixie" (LOL)- Get 4x better in 20 days.

Have fun on your Owyhee trip!
Pixie