Saturday, May 2, 2009

My Inflatable Kayaks - Part 11 - Aire Outfitter

(This is a work in progress, and will be updated as things change.)

Always searching for new boats that fit me, I decided that the new Aire Outfitter might be a good buy. I had some credit racked up with NRS, so I ordered a purple one to match my new cataraft. The Outfitter is very similar in shape and construction to the Aire Lynx, but it is about 3" wider and 3" shorter, with fatter tubes. I measured it, and it's the same width as my Wing but it's a full 10" shorter. When I bought the boat, I knew it was going to come with one of the standard Aire flat backrests. Aire makes nice boats, but their backrests just do not work for me. They aren't big enough, and most of them require wrapping a strap around the boat, which is just ridiculous. I bought a Sotar thwart backrest, which has handles and a zipper pouch. On my first trip, I found that this was still a little small for me (it also didn't hold air, but that was due to a loose valve - lesson learned). I have since gotten a large Hyside IK backrest that I will try out soon. Thigh straps are another problem. Aire boats are set up with loops in the floor to tie stuff in, but thigh straps don't work as well when they are attached to the floor. They are better attached to D-rings on the sides of the tubes, about halfway up. I will need to get the backrest installed and adjusted properly before I can do that.

I named the boat Jelly Bean because it looks kind of like a big purple jelly bean.

4 comments:

~MyGalSal~The "Bird Whisperer" said...

I have wanted to kayak for years. I live near a beautiful lake. I dont even know where to begin to find the best option for me. Do heavier people do okay in hard shell kayaks also?

Tiger said...

There are hardshell kayaks made for heavier people. There is a guy in Michigan who makes lake/ocean kayaks for larger people. The key to hardshell kayaking is learning to roll the boat back over when you flip. Without that ability, an inflatable kayak gives you a better chance of recovering from a flip.

~MyGalSal~The "Bird Whisperer" said...

Thank you for the info. I have a fear of that flip thing and I would never want to even try to fit into one with that skirt around me. If I can afford it, I think I will get an inflatable one. I will try and research what is the best for larger people and what you need to take with you in terms of safety and I wonder if I would have to blow it up (I have a compressor) every time or if I could put in my trunk and tie it down?

Anonymous said...

There are many cheap kayaks available for 2-people that are inflatable. I've found two with weight limits of 595lbs. My brother and I are wanting to do some kayaking in the area on mellow bodies of water, just for fun (neither of us have tried it before). He is 5'6" and I am about 6'1", and we both weigh around 250lbs. Would these be adequate for us, size-wise? I know we wouldn't exceed the weight limit, but I don't know how it would be expected to feel. I am looking at buying either the Coleman or Sevylor inflatable 2-person sit on top kayak for us. Any thoughts?