Thursday, June 18, 2009

37 - 6/18/09 - Middle Middle

The last time I ran the Middle Middle in my IK was nearly 3 months ago, right when the county started road repairs. On this run, we had 3 IKs, 2 rafts, and a cataraft. The flow was low for the big boats, but just fine for the IKs. For the most part, the run was uneventful, but I did have one interesting situation. About halfway through Second Island Drop, I was pushed sideways into a big rock with lots of current pushing into it. I was starting to get wrapped on the rock, and felt the boat going vertical. I realized that a swim here would be annoying, so I decided I had better do something to try and avoid it. So, I leaned over and put my paddle in the water to brace, found the current, and pulled myself off the rock. If I can learn to do that instinctively, that will make a big difference.

No comments: