Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Mid-year Roundup

The first half of 2009 has been very good for boating. It started off with a bang, and good water on the Green gave me lots of chances to improve. I'm very happy to have gotten in 4 new runs so far. It's hard to get many new runs now without a lot of traveling, so in future years I need to be prepared for that. I got to run some favorites like Peshastin Creek, the NF Snoqualmie, the Middle SF Stillaguamish, and the recent NF Lewis overnighter, and I got to do several trips in my new cataraft.

The closure of the Middle Fork Road for repairs didn't help much, but it didn't really affect us as much as we had expected. They got the road fixed quicker than expected, and the water was low during a good part of the time. I really wanted to run the Lower Owyhee again, and was disappointed when that didn't happen, but the John Day is still a great alternative.

The biggest negative this year has been the injuries to my shoulder and elbows. I need to keep working to fix these problems and keep them from coming back.

The second half of the year should be very interesting. We still have a little bit of snowmelt left before we have to start traveling for whitewater. Things should improve again in October when the rains return, but we have been warned that El Nino will bring us a warm, dry winter. I hope I get a chance to run some Oregon rivers this fall. Happy boating!

No comments: