Monday, May 3, 2010

22 - 5/3/2010 - Yampa River (Day 1)

Boats in the upper Yampa canyon

The night was cold, and there was frost on the tents in the morning. After a slow start to the day, we were packed and ready to go at around 1PM. One of the great things about the Yampa is that within the first 15 minutes, you're in the canyon, and it lasts for days.

Just before the canyon, we ran into sandbars. One moment I was rowing through water, and the next my oar blades were down in the sand. A couple of people in our party got stuck for a few minutes, but once in the canyon, this was no longer a problem.

We soon stopped for lunch. Our excellent lunch chefs prepared a great meal for us to enjoy. During lunch, I put a small hole in my drysuit, which I patched at dinner and it never gave me any trouble.

After only 4 miles, we pulled over to camp at Anderson Hole. This was a long beach camp. I set up the groover and my tent, and I was done for the day. After dinner, a couple of us explored the area around an abandoned miner's cabin.

My one mistake on the trip was that I forgot to bring the hand soap. Luckily, I had a half bottle of soap for the groover and someone else had a full bottle for the kitchen.

No comments: