Saturday, May 15, 2010

30 - 5/15/2010 - Green River Gorge

Lyles goes big at Paradise Ledge

The Army Corps did an experiment where they allowed the level of the reservoir above the Green River Gorge to go up to a higher level than normal to test the integrity of recent repairs. The plan had been to start releasing this extra water on Friday and continue through the weekend, with levels dropping in steps. They started a day early, which meant that we only got 1300 cfs on Saturday. Still, 1300 cfs is a great IK level, and it was a sunny day, so a group of us took advantage.

The trip was fun as it always is. There were long surfing sessions at Ledge Drop 1 and at Paradise. The one incident involved me at Secret Class IV. I was being silly above the rapid, and I predicted that I would flip. I did. At the bottom of the right side of the rapid, there was a tree branch in the water. I got too close to another boater, and I ended up having to hit the tree branch. I flipped on it, went under it, and came up under my boat. I recovered quickly, but it was a harbinger of things to come...

No comments: