Thursday, May 6, 2010

25 - 5/6/2010 - Yampa River (Day 4)

Randy runs Warm Springs

None of us knew what to expect this day. We knew we needed to kiss the Tiger Wall to make sure we would have a good run at Warm Springs, but we had no idea what this all meant. We got to Tiger Wall within an hour. Because of my helmet, I didn't make my first attempt, so I had to hurry and kiss the wall while it was flying by - I made it, but I came very close to losing an eyebrow...

We also ran into the research team who were finishing up their trench filling and sediment studies.

At Warm Springs, we all took a look and discussed the line. Joan, who was in an IK, was nervous, but we were all proud of her for going for it. I went down by the river to take pictures. The rapid was straightforward and runnable, but it would take some pushing. Joan followed another boat and was too far left. A wave stopped her and the next wave flipped her. She swam the big hole, and it spat her out. She took a swim, but still did a great job. I took the easy run - rather than starting center and working right, I ran the big waves on the right and stayed right until I passed the big hole.

Not long after regrouping, we came to our camp area - Box Elder. A couple of the guys walked down to make sure that the camp we wanted was available. In the meantime, a pair of bighorn sheep walked right by us and crossed the river. Box Elder 3 was available to us, so we landed at the big beach. We had a great lunch and set up camp in the trees. A few of us explored the shallow caves at the other camps and saw a small group of deer.

Before dinner, the ranger came by and looked at our permit and gear and gave us some information. He showed us a photo of the camp from a week before, when there was 6 inches of snow on the ground. A bit later, the research team and another group passed by and said hello.

The evening was cold, and it was really nice that a couple of people had brought heaters.

No comments: