Saturday, June 5, 2010

36 - 6/5/2010 - Wenatchee Rendezvous 25th Anniversary

 Shelly Becker and me at Rodeo Hole
(Photo courtesy Lee)

Technically, it wasn't the 25th Wenatchee Rendezvous (it wasn't always on the Wenatchee), but it was the 25th anniversary of the Washington Recreational River Runners club. The flow was down from the previous year, but it was still pretty high (9500 cfs) and I took my cataraft.

I was the first person at the put-in at 10AM, but I was quickly joined by others. After the shuttle, we took off. I ended up bringing up the rear. I don't know how many boats we had, but it was at least 20, and maybe even 30, in 3 waves. I started off in the rear group, but after lunch I found myself in the front group.

At 9500, the rapids on the Wenatchee are pretty easy in a cataraft. The rapids are mostly big wavetrains - at higher flows the waves start to turn into breaking waves that can flip rafts easily.

After the run, we had a nice potluck dinner and a raffle. I won a couple of nice prizes (a water filter and a sand stake) and a bunch of us played our guitars until bedtime.

No comments: